Just starting

Johnald

Greetings,
been interested in HEMA for most of my life, even before I knew it was called HEMA. I've been researching, reading, and practicing at home via books, internet, YouTube, PDFs, and a makeshift sparring area that doubles as my home gym for about 4 months now. I have only started collecting equipment and gear, owning a couple of longsword synthetics, and plans to get a Feder, and protective gear later this year, looking forward to this web site and these forums to help me along the way, and maybe help others myself if the opportunity arises.

JoanAnt

I've just started looking into HEMA a few months ago. I'm hoping to take in-person classes at some point and learning over the summer!

Johnald

I've just started looking into HEMA a few months ago. I'm hoping to take in-person classes at some point and learning over the summer!
Awesome to hear, its a fine hobby, and interesting subject matter, I'd suggest checking out the HEMA United Facebook group, its very active, and full of lots of helpful people, and varied HEMA subjects and discussions.

JoanAnt

Thanks John, I’ll definitely check it out.
I just have a quick question, do you know if there are any HEMA classes in NYC? That’s the closest to where I live, but checking the HEMA club finder didn’t yield anywhere close.

Johnald

Thanks John, I’ll definitely check it out.
I just have a quick question, do you know if there are any HEMA classes in NYC? That’s the closest to where I live, but checking the HEMA club finder didn’t yield anywhere close.
Yeah Im in the same boat, Im in Michigan and the closest club is 80 miles away, might have to start my own if at all possible, check the official HEMA Alliance website and use their club finder to double check, depending on your intrests, there is alot of material out there on how to get started on your own, lots of books and personal training tools, videos, and advice to be had, just watch for trolls! Please check out the Wicktenauer, it has all the original manuscripts from the original masters, translated ofcourse, and free to everyone :)

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Just as a note there are several HEMA clubs in NYC and the state of NY in the USA.

An update to our software for some reason caused these listings to not be showing up in our Club Finder page but they should be viewable now. Apologies for the inconvenience.